In the past twenty-one years, I have learned and experienced more than I could have ever imagined. I started a digital marketing business, received a full-time offer, and had an impact on my University all before I could have a legal drink. Reflecting back on the lessons below has taught me to be grateful for every experience that has shaped me into the woman I am today. Challenges, grief, and heartache have all been obstacles in the right direction.
These are the five life lessons that helped build my strong foundation:
Trust your intuition.
“When you surrender your plans and release control, you stop pursuing the path of your misguided ego. You allow the voice of your intuition and the energy of love to be your guide.” -Gabby Bernstein
- Trust your gut; we are all born with survival instincts. However, be mindful that since we are always in ‘survival mode’ our mind automatically falls into fear. Honor your feelings, choose to see through love and your intuition will do the rest.
Take care of yourself in order to have the strength to take care of others.
“Your conviction and certainty help others remember their own.” - -Gabby Bernstein
- As empathetic beings, our heart goes out to others and we want to do everything we can to help them. However, we need to take care of ourselves before helping others. You can’t water a garden with an empty watering can.
Life is what you make of it.
“You are the dreamer of your own dream, create visions of the world that you want to see.” - Gabby Bernstein
- When you do what makes you happy, you are happy. It is all about perspective. Fill your mind with happy and positive thoughts and you will lead a happy life.
- A little good goes a long way. Try to be the lifted spirit in the room.
Be yourself: Embrace what makes you different.
“Sufi poet Rumi said, ‘The wound is the place where the light enters you.’ Each wound has brought light into our lives; these experiences shape us into who we are, embrace the person you are becoming. Don't be ashamed of your wounds, honor the feelings they bring, remember that they brought the love that is shining through you now. Love who you are.” - Gabby Bernstein
- Who cares what people think, keep searching until you find your tribe. In the current day and age, authenticity is appreciated and expected. When you embrace what makes you who you are, you can experience life in its fullest form.
Bold Moves Only.
You only have one life, make sure you are living. Your dreams in life will not get handed to you, take chances and go out of your way to make sure they happen. “Everything is figureoutable”
- When you are making a decision, think to yourself, what is the worse that will happen? NOTHING, take chances and live your life without regrets.
These are just a handful of the lessons that have led me through my first twenty-one years. I look forward to seeing where the journey of life takes me. Stick around for the ride, you won’t be sorry!